…when you’re sitting comfortably on the couch for hours. Or devoting said hours to supporting major sport franchises and television networks. I say bring on the macaroni and cheese!
Macaroni and Cheese
The New Basics Cookbook by Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins
- 1 lb. penne
- 4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and and ground black pepper to taste
- 12 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (4 cups)
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, cook pasta as directed. Drain, rinse and drain again. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bring the milk just to a boil in a heavy saucepan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in another heavy saucepan. Add flour, and whisk for 5 minutes. Do not brown. Remove from heat.
- Add the hot milk to the flour mixture and whisk well. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the paprika, season with salt and pepper, and return the pan to the heat. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens, 5 minutes. Add to the penne, toss well to coat penne completely.
- Butter a 9x13x2″ casserole dish, and fill it evenly with penne and sauce.
- Distribute the grated cheese evenly over the penne, sprinkle with salt, pepper and additional paprika.
- Place dish on a baking sheet and bake until hot, 20 – 25 minutes.
- Place the dish under the broiler, 4 inches from the heat, until the top is bubbly and golden. Serve immediately. And Enjoy!